Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Lothaire by Kresley Cole

Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12)Lothaire by Kresley Cole

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I loved this book!  This was worth waiting for, even though it was a long wait for it to come out in paperback.  I can say that the hours spent reading it were truly enjoyable. It's true that I am a huge fan of this series, but it never gets old for me. I do believe this is one of the best paranormal series out there, hands down!  It has a lot of sex, so I wouldn't recommend it to a fantasy fan who doesn't like sex, but I feel that the world-building stands up to muster for a fantasy novel as well.  I think that this story keeps expanding in ways that intrigue and fascinate me. I am happily surprised at all the twists and turns Cole gives this storyline.

Lothaire totally lived up to his potential. He is all that and more.  I think that Cole did a great job of giving this character a romance without compromising who he was.  Lothaire will always be a bad guy.  He is just a bad guy who sometimes does the right thing.  Kind of different and it worked for me!  I have a sick fascination weakness for villainous/antiheroic types, and Lothaire is the top of the list!

Things I loved about Lothaire
*Lothaire stays true to his character. He doesn't become a Stepford Hero just because he finds his true love.  He is always going to be Lothaire, just Lothaire in love.
*He cracks me up. I know he's not trying to be funny. He's just being him, but his way of twisting his words to get around his physiological demand to be truthful, and his sheer arrogance, results in some laugh out loud, snarkalicious comments. I can imagine Ms. Cole cracked herself and her editor up reading as she wrote it. I know she cracked me up.
*I love a wickedly intelligent guy. My Achilles' heel. Lothaire is such a calculating dude. Always working all the angles.  It was interesting to see how others reacted to him.  Many hated him, some were scared witless by him, and some admired him (in a "I hate him" kind of way). No one was 'meh' about him.
*Lothaire actually wants to be faithful to his Bride. 

Things I loved about Elizabeth
*She's very tough considering all that she went through.  (Shudders) I can't imagine having that awful thing taking over my body committing those horrible acts with it.  And then, where she spent five years!  That was so dark!
*She's so down to earth. I love a down to earth heroine.  She's very proud of her humble root, loves her family, and is unshakably loyal.
*She holds her own with Lothaire. Maybe she doesn't have thousands of years of experience or his incredible, immortal strength, but she has a snarky tongue, plenty of intelligence, and a big heart.

Things I loved about this book
*Kresley Cole never tries to sell this as a normal people/functional romance. From the beginning, it's clear that this is not for the faint of heart.  Lothaire is not a kind, loving, good-hearted boy next door. He is the Enemy of Old.  Ellie is not the normal girl next door with a sweet, happy existence.  Her life was tough since she was young, and it turns into a living hell when she's eighteen, and things just get worse.  Despite that, I found it to be a sigh-worthy romance. I don't want a Lothaire of my own, but I sure did like reading about his romance with Ellie!
*Lothaire has met his match in Ellie.  Although he tried to walk all over her, he finds out the hard way that's not going to fly.  Ellie proves to be a dangerous woman in her own right.  If you have read this, you'll find out.
*I didn't find this to be predictable.  I had my ideas about how things would work out, but I was wrong!  In fact, I was thrown a loop a time or two. I love how Cole turns all the endgame goals of Lothaire on their heads.
*Freaking hilarious.  Despite the very dark beginning and dark subject matter, there is much to enjoy and laugh about this book.
*Smoking hot love scenes. I mean, wow! (thinks about the scenes and wipes forehead)
*This world is endlessly fascinating and entertaining.  All the different characters and how their immortal lives intersect.  I like seeing the plots come together and overlap. With each book, I just want more.

Over five hundred pages of fantastic goodness. And when it ended, I was sad.  I want to read it over again, but no time.  Good thing I am planning on an Immortals After Dark series reread early next year!

Thumbs Way Up!!! This is a Goodread For Sure!






View all my reviews

3 comments:

Covnitkepr1 said...

You give really good book reviews.
Just checking back for any new posts you may have written.
I’ve been a follower on your blog for a while now and would like to invite you to visit and perhaps follow me back. Sorry I took so long for the invitation.

Ava Quinn said...

I love this series too. I was a bit disappointed with the previous book (Regin's), but I think it's because I'm not a very forgiving person. lol. That's why I haven't given Lothaire a shot yet, even though I've read all the others and loved them (with the above exception.)

I've almost talked myself into buying it just to see the old characters make an appearance. I'm sure Nix is in there. And I need a Nix fix!

Very nice review!

Danielle said...

Thank you, covnitkepr1. I am following your blog.

Ava, I think Lothaire is a must-read for IAD readers. Lothaire isn't your typical hero, nor is Elizabeth the typical heroine, which is refreshing.