Sunday, August 19, 2012

Don't Play Games by Emma Darcy

Don't  Play Games (Harlequin Presents, #823)Don't Play Games by Emma Darcy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Oy, this was a good one! I liked Alex a lot. He was a tough man's man, and a highly astute businessman. Pretty savvy with human nature. Most especially, he knows how to treat women with respect. I was a bit worried how things would go, since Kate is married at the beginning of the book...to another man. He's a lousy husband, no question. I was actually hoping he'd get killed off (terrible of me). And what he asks Kate to do for her divorce, well he proves to be a huge slug. Let's just say things develop to my satisfaction.

In swoops Alex with a marriage proposal, knowing the one thing that Kate couldn't turn down. I told you Alex was a good student of human nature. I loved how Alex woos Kate. He shows her the treatment her first husband failed in giving. Slowly building up her trust in him (after five years married to a lower life-form). Of course, there enters the obligatory other woman, but it was well handled. I liked the way things resolved and how they both admit their love for each other.

I haven't necessarily reached for many of Emma Darcy's older books. But since I liked this one so much, that might have to change.

Highlights of this Read

*Hero is very appealing, large, manly, but a sweet guy where it counts
*Kate is a tough woman, honest, and straightforward. I liked how she held her own with her loser first husband and cut her losses when she could.
*Unorthodox first meeting between Alex and Kate works, and it didn't cross my personal ethical boundaries.
*Great chemistry between Alex and Kate--the development of their relationship starts with appealing banter and mutual respect.
*Interesting mother-son dynamic between Alex and his mother
*Excellent declaration of love!

This was a good book. I'd recommend it to fans of older Harlequin Presents books.

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.


View all my reviews

No comments: