Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Lessons from a Latin Lover by Anne McAllister

Lessons from a Latin Lover (Harlequin Presents, No. 2467)(Pelican Cay)Lessons from a Latin Lover (Harlequin Presents, No. 2467) by Anne McAllister

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I did like this one, although I liked Hugh and Sydney's book a little more. It was interesting that Molly had been engaged to Carson so long (since they were young teens), and now she was ready to move their relationship to the next level, but worried that their relationship didn't have passion because she was a tomboy. She recruits Joaquin, a Spanish footballer (soccer outside of the US) to give her lessons in love.



Joaquin always looked through Molly, mostly because she was the younger sister of his friend Lachlan. He's at loose ends because he can't play soccer anymore due to a congenital spine issue that could lead to him becoming paralyzed permanently if he keeps playing. Molly's request gives him a challenge that he needs to keep himself from going crazy. In the process, he finds that Molly is a sexy, vibrant woman, and falls in love with her. The unfortunate part is he has to respect that she is committed to another man.



What I liked about this book:

*I liked the humor in the interactions between Molly and Joaquin and her brothers. It was funny how Joaquin would always deliberately call Carson 'Carter', because he was jealous of the man.

*The chemistry between Molly and Joaquin was well-done. The gradual building of attraction between them was believable as Joaquin started to see Molly with new eyes. She wasn't like one of his easy pickups (since he was quite the ladies' man).



What I didn't like as much:

*I didn't like how bossy and controlling Joaquin's parents were. They had pretty much mapped out his future. When he got over his soccer indulgence, they were determined that he settle down, marry the woman they wanted for him, and work in the family business. I think parents should support their children's dreams. I understood that Joaquin loved his parents, but I wish he'd just stand up and tell them that he had his own goals for his life.

*In a way I wish that Carson was in the book more. It would have been more interesting for him to be around and to be more of a real rival for Joaquin. He treated her like an afterthought, even after her makeover. I hoped that he'd get his own book, but that doesn't seem likely.

*I'm not overly fond of makeover stories. I don't think all people have to fit the same mold. Couldn't Molly be sexy even if she's tomboy and a mechanic? It's nice for people to see the natural beauty that you have before you get a makeover. I'm not sure that Joaquin really saw that in her. And Molly's brothers weren't much better. They were kind of dismissive of Molly's attractions pre-makeover. I'm sure that were men who thought Molly was the bee's knees before she got made over.



Sigh. I'm sure I'm over-thinking things, but that's just my MO, I guess.



All in all, this was a diverting, enjoyable read. I still need to read Lachlan's story: McGillivray's Mistress.



View all my reviews

No comments: