Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Newlyweds of Convenience by Jessica Hart

Newlyweds Of Convenience (Harlequin Romance) Newlyweds Of Convenience by Jessica Hart


My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars
This turned out to be a very engrossing, well-written story. Mallory spends much of this book teetering on the edge of unlikeablity, despite the fact that she was a sympathetic character in many ways. She is peevish and callous in the things she says to Torr, making me wonder why he doesn't just send her packing back to England. I had to keep reminding myself that she'd been badly hurt by her ex, and she was having to go through a grieving period. However, I don't really like it when one character is so callous in their feelings towards another. I realized that she saw Torr in a way that wasn't truly who he was. I figured out pretty early on that he was head over heels for her, and that was why he married her. It took her until the end of the book to figure it out. Despite the fact that Mallory was a hard pill to swallow, I loved this book. I liked the descriptions of Torr's inherited rundown castle in the Scottish highlands, the natural wonders of that place, from craggy hill to seashore. I loved Torr. I think he was really a great hero. He persevered through much to win his heroine, and I was glad he got her. I was glad to see Mallory have a wakeup call that she didn't need the bright lights and the big city to be happy. She just needed to love and be loved. And she needed the sense of purpose that rebuilding and making a home out of the castle brought her. She needed Torr's steadfast love to heal.

Warning: Mallory's dog gets sick and has to be put to sleep, if you are a doglover, this will probably make you cry. I know it did me.

Overall rating: 4.5 out of 5.0 stars.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: