Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Marriage on the Rebound by Michelle Reid

Marriage on the Rebound (Harlequin Presents, No 1973) Marriage on the Rebound by Michelle Reid


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
One cannot imagine how devastating it would be to find yourself left at the altar. That's what happens to Shaan in this book. And the person who delivers the news is the man who thought Shaan was unsuitable as his brother's bride, Rafe Danvers. Yet Rafe is there to pick up the pieces, and support this jilted bride. Surprised isn't the word for how Shaan feels when Rafe suggests she marry him instead. But she says yes.

This is a slightly older Harlequin Presents, with the mood and the content that really makes these books pop when used effectively. Rafe is one of those heroes that comes off as slightly domineering, but for some reason it works. I think it worked for me because I could see that caring was behind his bossy ways. He is the type of hero that's all man, despite being a businessman type. You wonder how Shaan could fall for his brother, who is like a paler shadow of Rafe, lacking many of Rafe's good qualities. Yet, it's about proximity. But now is the time for Rafe to show he is the right man for Shaan. And he does quite the job.

Of course, there is the misunderstanding, as always. Shaan ends up seeing Rafe making goo goo eyes at Madeline, the woman that Piers jilts her for. But all is not as it seems. This book reminded me that I really like Michelle Reid's books. They are intense and emotional. You get involved, and in the hours you spend reading the book, you don't want to put it down. I can't say this is my favorite of hers. That would be Price Of A Bride. But this was a very good book, and it will go on my keeper shelf. I found Rafe irresistible, in all his bossy ways. He reminded me of fellow HP writer, Susan Napier's heroes, whom I go gaga over. Although he's a good few years older than Shaan, I think he is the right man for her. He knows how to keep her happy and would move mountains to do just that. But he will challenge her to be her best. And he loves her so much. Who can resist that in a hero?

View all my reviews >>

No comments: