Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Desert King's Bejewelled Bride by Sabrina Phillips

The Desert King's Bejewelled Bride (Presents Extra) The Desert King's Bejewelled Bride by Sabrina Philips


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book has all the good ingredients to start a five alarm fire. But some reason, it was just a good, warm fire to heat smores on instead. I'm not quite sure why this book only ended up a good read for me. The story is intense in its own way. Two people who met when they were younger, connected in a magical time under the desert sky, but things ended badly. When they meet again, the spark was there. So why didn't I feel the fire? I'm not sure.

I felt like I was watching a news report of the whirlwind romance between this couple, instead of being front and center. I admit this: I love Harlequin Presents because I love the drama and the passion in these books. These books should be larger than life. When you read them, you don't want to be thinking about your grocery list or things you should be doing instead of reading that book. If I read one that can do this, that makes me feel the fire, than the book has succeeded. When I read it and think, "That was pretty good, but not great. I wasn't moved," then I feel something was lost in the translation. In all honesty, didn't feel that these characters quite came to life for me, which is a bit disappointing.

I think that Sabrina Phillips has a good future ahead in this line, but I hope that she is able to do more showing and painting a vivid picture that a reader cannot resist. As it stands, this is powerful stuff: a love that never died, even if there is anger and bitterness left behind. But things never seemed to ignite for me. If I wasn't the type to want to be pulled into the book, face-fowards, I would probably have given this five stars. As it is, this one's a 3.5/5.0 book.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: