Friday, October 16, 2009

BRPD #4: The Dead by Mike Mignola, John Arcudi, Guy Davis

B.P.R.D.: The Dead (Volume 4) B.P.R.D.: The Dead by Mike Mignola


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I am so glad I chanced upon this graphic novel at Half Price Books, even though it's out of order. It didn't affect my understanding or enjoyment in the slightest. I have enjoyed the Hellboy movies, which inspired me to read the Hellboy comics and graphic novels, which in turn gave me the encouragement to read the BPRD spinoff. I am now hooked on this series.

I enjoyed the artwork and the writing. I was laughing out loud like a crazy girl, and I was gasping with unease on some parts. This was a fun ride. Sign me up for more. If you like anything with an occult detective feel, have a yen for folklore (such as homunculi--Roger is a BRPD team member who doesn't like to wear pants and happens to be one), have an interest in history with an arcane leaning (such as Nazi occult dabblings to win the war), you will love Hellboy and the BRPD.

Now go out and pick up this graphic novel series. I know I definitely need to get the others to read.

View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

J.M. Martin said...

I love the Hellboy and B.P.R.D. series of books. Not only are these great adventuresome tales of the historically dark and paranormal bent, but I've met Mignola and I know Guy Davis personally (having associated with him in years past via my position with a comic publisher) and they're both great people. That makes me feel doubly good about getting my jollies from these books.

Danielle, if you enjoy the graphic novels, you might wanna check out some of the prose, as well. I just finished Lobster Johnson: The Satan Factory by Tom Sniegoski, which centers around a character created by Mike Mignola in the pages of Hellboy. It's a five-star read, in my opinion. I have a review on my blog, if you're interested.

http://corpseofmilk.blogspot.com/2009/09/book-review-satan-factory-by-tom.html

Danielle said...

Thanks, JM. I would very much like to check that out, and your blog. :)