Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Batman, Vol. 4: Zero Year - Secret City by Scott Snyder (Goodreads Author), Greg Capullo (Illustrations)

Batman, Vol. 4: Zero Year - Secret CityBatman, Vol. 4: Zero Year - Secret City by Scott Snyder
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is essentially a new exploration of Batman's origin story. It has a few what I would consider right turns, but I suppose if you're going to re-imagine a character, that's poetic license. I think Snyder is a strong writer and the artwork is also appealing. I would say this is a good quality graphic novel. It has all the things that a Batman fan would like. Portraying Bruce Wayne as the strong character he is; the important and foundational relationship he has with Alfred Pennyworth, who is as much surrogate father as mentor and caretaker. It also portrays the broken and irredeemable nature of Gotham, which seems to attract the morally bankrupt and flamboyant criminals that Batman exists to thwart. It also shows why Batman won't give up on Gotham, even though it cost him his own mother and father.

The storyline about the Red Hood Gang was interesting and more than a little creepy (creepy in the sense of the pervasiveness and ruthlessness of the cult). I'm thinking that the leader may be the origin of one of Batman's arch-nemeses.

I've really liked the New 52 Batman that I've read so far. Each one makes me want to pick up the next.

View all my reviews

No comments: