Saturday, February 07, 2015

Justice League of America, Volume 2: Survivors of Evil by Matt Kindt

Justice League of America, Vol. 2: Survivors of EvilJustice League of America, Vol. 2: Survivors of Evil by Matt Kindt
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This was a nice chance to see some less represented characters front and center: Stargirl and Martian Manhunter. They are members of the Justice League of America and the only ones who can help liberate the Justice League members who are entrapped in a psychic prison, and evert world destruction.

Together, they make their way through a surreal set of challenges in which they are incorporated into or witness the punishing illusions that their fellow superhero colleagues are subjected to. In the process, they must face their own fears, and tap into inner wells of courage.

I wasn't familiar with Stargirl, but she seems like a good analog for the average girl. While I think most young women and girls look up to Wonder Woman, we're not Amazonian princesses (with goddess-like powers), and there will always be a realization that Wonder Woman is in some ways an unattainable standard. However, Courtney is an average girl, albeit one who has gained access to a staff that gives her extraordinary powers. Her youth and hope is a real asset in this crisis.

This is a three star rating because I didn't get into the story that much. I felt I was just trying to finish it so I could return it to the library. Perhaps it was hard to connect to the story outside of Manhunter and Stargirl's dilemma. I much preferred the previous volume, with the ensemble cast who kept my interest. If my library keeps getting these, I'll keep reading them.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

Cece said...

I do love super heroes and graphic novels! I haven't read any of these though. So I have to get to it soon.

Cucie @ Cucie reads

Danielle said...

I'd recommend the Suicide Squad series. I love those so much more than the Justice League ones I've read. I think the writing is better and the characterization is deeper.