Sunday, June 29, 2014

Constantine Volume #1 by Jeff Lemire, Ray Fawkes, Renato Guedes

Constantine #1 (Constantine: The New 52 #1)Constantine #1 by Jeff Lemire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I was a bit underwhelmed with the New 52 version of Constantine. While it does retain the darkness of the prior incarnation, it lacks some depth. I think that Constantine has a tendency to be the Trickster, always working angles and not above double-crossing people when it give him an advantage. However, there wasn't enough explanation to go along with the visuals in this graphic novel. I think the writing could have been clearer and more expansive. The storyline itself was interesting, although there were certain aspects that I didn't like much. What happens to the kid that goes along with Constantine on his quest initially, was really hard to get past. I mean, Constantine is not a likable guy, but I hated him for what he did. Even if he felt he had good reasons. I did like how it's evident that Constantine knows he's a b*stard. But I don't think knowing you are a jerk and doing anything to change the situation is that big an advantage. Constantine doesn't mind playing dirty to outwit the dirtier magicians/sorcerers that he goes against. If you like an antihero, then you have to face that aspect of his nature. While I'm not always okay with his methods, I can generally acknowledge that its the nature of Constantine. However, I think maybe he goes too far this time.

I'm not sold on the artwork just yet. And the storyline is a bit obtuse. I'll have to see where this series goes. I won't write it off just yet.

View all my reviews

No comments: