Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love by Bill Willingham

Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love (Fables, #3)Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love by Bill Willingham

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


This was such a good GN, I started it and was sucked back into Fabletown and out of my own world.  Now, Mr. Willingham, you know how to do a fairy retelling very well.  While I found some parts of this book quite graphic and disturbingly violent, it fits in with the storyline and the series and the grim kind of world of fairy tales, and the situations that the characters find themselves in.

I never did like Bluebeard. I was prejudiced by his past of murdering his wives. It's really hard to get past that, especially in absence of a changed life and persona. That Goldilocks has some issues (even outside of her unconventional relationship with the Bear family).  As usual, Prince Charming is being a scoundrel and manipulating situations to his advantage.

Can I tell you how much I love Snow and Bigby and their relationship? My fingers are crossed that the forthcoming stories don't take their courtship into the dumpster, especially after the interesting conclusion in this volume.

I remembered why I didn't give this a higher rating. I didn't like Jack's parts as much, although they were good folktale stories.  Jack is a rascal and not in a good way.  But it's nice to get his in between story.

I feel a whole lot of affection for this series so far.  In fact, I picked up the next three volumes and Fables: Werewolves of the Heartland because I couldn't help myself.

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: