Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and BoneDaughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I'm not sure how I feel about this book. It has beautiful writing. The descriptions are lyrical and lush in their imagery.  The ideas are very imaginative.  I loved Karou. She's strong and vulnerable. She's old for her years, but full of youthful energy.  Akiva has an appealing brokenness and dangerous allure. And of course, I love angels.  However, I didn't feel satisfied when I finished this book. I felt rather empty, to be honest.  I felt a twisty knot of anguish inside.  Maybe that's a sign that it was a very good book. That I felt deeply for both Karou, Akiva, Brimstone, Madrigal.  I couldn't take sides easily.  That's real though, isn't it?  War always has losers and rarely has winners. Even the winning side counts the cost, with the innumerable loss of lives, as much as their way of life in no small part.

Now this is embarrassing for a huge romance fan to admit.  I found the romantic descriptions a bit much for my tastes.  A little too saccharine for me.  It could be because I listened to the audiobook version, and honestly I tend to avoid romance on audiobooks (with some notable exceptions).  I think I liked this better as fantasy than as a romance.  Certainly the end was a hard slap in the face.  Very melancholy!

I can see why this book is so well-loved and highly reviewed. It has a lot to offer a fantasy reader. The storyline is very creative, with the author's building of unique myths just for this novel, and the writing is lush and beautiful.  As an audiobook, it's a feast to the ears, and the narrator does a great job.  However, since I am an unrepentant emotional reader, I couldn't give this five stars, because I wasn't fully satisfied in some intangible way.  Having said that, I am looking forward to the upcoming sequel.

Would I recommend this? Yes.  It's a book you don't want to miss.  Whether you'll feel the same way I did, I can't say.  It's important for you to make up your own mind.



View all my reviews

No comments: