Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Living Nightmare

Living Nightmare (Sentinel Wars, #4)Living Nightmare by Shannon K. Butcher

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Best book of the series thus far.  And better yet, it has built expectation for future books.  I loved Nika even more than Madoc, which is saying something.  Nika might seem frail and in need of protection, but she is a tough little woman.  Just the woman for Madoc.   I loved the symbiosis of their relationship. Their relationship wasn't  about one taking too much from the other, but an equal exchange between them both.  I liked how things worked out with Madoc's lifemark and his dire situation as far as his soul.  I loved the fact that Nika wasn't willing to give up on him.  And her determination paid off beautifully for them both.  Nika managed to be a determined, stubborn heroine without ever being annoying about it.  She just didn't give up on what was important to her, and that was a good thing. I was glad she powered through all those obstacles that stood between her and Madoc and finding her lost sister, Tori.  Now you need to know I loved me some Madoc. He's adorably fierce and grumpy, but so marshmallow for Nika.  Just the way I like my heroes!  It should be interesting to see how Madoc progresses as a character since he will now be happily bonded.  Looking forward to it.

Can I say that the Sanguinars have me the most intrigued?  I love me some Tynan.  He is a brilliant mix of cunning, beauty, intelligence, and manipulative nature. He reminds me of an Anne Stuart hero. That's a great complement.  I like Logan too.  The part near the end with the kids had me all warm and fuzzy! I like the whole Sanginar angle, and it makes me so eager to keep reading to see what they have up their sleeves.

The secondary storylines as usual, were compelling.  Some made me sad, and some very hopeful.  But all curious about what happens next. There is a lot of intensity, anguish, and suffering in these books.  I don't feel any sense of disconnection when I read, which is a very good thing. I love how Ms. Butcher builds excitement for the following books without making it into annoying cliffhangers.  Those drive me crazy. It's more of an, "Oh, can't wait for the next book" rather than shaking one's fist and spewing bad language out of frustration.

It's official. I've found another addictive, highly explosive paranormal series to follow. Works for me!



View all my reviews

No comments: