Friday, December 02, 2011

Chasing Darkness by Robert Crais

Chasing Darkness (Elvis Cole, #11)Chasing Darkness by Robert Crais

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I admit I am reading these books out of order, but it hasn't hurt. I like Crais' spare writing style, yet how he writes description beautifully, bringing Los Angeles to life for me as I listened. I was a bit disappointed with how quickly it ended, leaving me with some questions about why the killer was operating. The same narrator as The Watchman, and he does the Cole/Pike books perfectly well, so I shall not complain.

I exhaled a dreamy sigh whenever Pike came around. He is utterly lickable. (Did I write that in my review? Pausing to drool...) Back to the review... I am quite fond of Elvis too. I don't feel that I know him as well as Pike, but that's my fault for reading these books out of order.

It was very awesome to see Carol Starkey from Demolition Angel again. She seems a little better adjusted, but smokes like a chimney. I enjoyed the banter between her and Elvis.

This one is a low four because of the sparse detail on the killer and how it wraps up. I think the characters are a strong point for me with this series, and the mystery part is sort of an added bonus, so I can can still rate this one well. It's a four because I really liked it for the reasons I mentioned. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!



View all my reviews

2 comments:

Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reviewer said...

great review..i hate reading books out of order, but appreciate when an author writes so that the book can standalone.

Danielle said...

Thanks, Kimba. I think you can read this series out of order pretty well because it's episodic.