Monday, November 29, 2010

Crazy Hot by Tara Janzen

Crazy Hot (Steele Street, #1)Crazy Hot by Tara Janzen

My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars


This one's hard to rate. I really liked it, but I was a bit disappointed with a couple of aspects.



First of all, the good:



*Oh, my. Was Quinn delicious or what? Yes he was. I adored him. He was a sweetie, and I loved how he had been so in love with Regan since he was a young boy. He grew up to be a major hottie, alright.



*The concept was very cool. I liked the idea of the SDF, who does things outside of the law to help protect their country. I loved the whole aspect of them being gearheads and using their car know-how to do their job. How they had shady pasts, and they use those to their advantage.



*I was not into cars until I saw Gone in 60 Seconds. For some reason, that activated my appreciation for hot rods. And then there was Vin Diesel and that luscious GTO in XXX. Enough said! I don't want to drive them, but yes, I can see the appeal of a guy who drives them very well. I really liked the car stunts parts!



*The romance aspects were a double-edged sword for me. I really liked that we get two romances in one. I will talk about the negatives a little later. As far as positives, both couples were likeable with great chemistry, and I rooted for their happy ending.



*Pretty good (as in really nasty) villain. Boy, was he a piece of work. I liked Christian, who is deep cover, and he is in a very scary little situation, but handles it with calm and grace. His story should be interesting.



What I was underwhelmed about:



*I didn't like the climax. I thought it was anti-climactic. Some pivotal moments seem to take place off-screen. I thought that there was a good build-up to a really high octane finish, and that didn't come to fruition. I could understand Regan's actions, but it felt a little ditzy in how it came across. I would have liked her to show a little more finesse in saving her man than she did.



*I felt the rapid progression of the romances to be kind of unbelieveable. I could buy that Regan and Quinn had enough history for things to more fairly quickly, but Nikki and Kid, not so much. Also what are the statistical probabilities that two sisters will meet the loves of their life, hook up, have fantastic sex, all in the same night? Pretty unlikely.



*I would have liked to see more action. Yes, I am an action movie junkie. I think there was the potential to have a fantastic book that read like the Fast and the Furious-type movies, but it didn't quite hit my satiety center here.



*I think the details of the SDF agency could be more fleshed out. As it was, there were tantalizing bits here, but it was like getting one of those tiny spoons-full of really good ice cream and not being able to get more in the end! I guesss I have to keep reading to find out more about the SDF and the men who work there.



So, I guess that's why I couldn't give this four stars. I liked it a lot, but I wanted it to be more. Having said that, I am looking forward to continuing this series. I adore Kid, and I cannot wait to read his book. And Christian has that 'I am a bad man, or at least pretending to be a bad man' thing about him that is calling my name.



Overall rating: 3.75/5.0 stars.









View all my reviews

No comments: