Thursday, December 10, 2009

Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra Vol. 1, by Greg Rucka, et al

Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra Volume 1 TPB Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra Volume 1 TPB by Greg Rucka


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was a pretty good origin graphic novel. However, I felt that the impetus to cause Elektra to cross to the darkside was kind of weak. I do think that Trey was a piece of dog poo, but I don't think he was deserving of Elektra being willing to compromise her morals, leave her family and friends behind, and forsake her love for Matt to see justice done on him. I wanted to see a more compelling reason than what I was given. At the end of the day, Trey is a lame, bullying toad. Just a chip off the old block like his father, who thinks he can buy his way out of justice.

I really liked Matt,and I liked seeing Elektra as the wide-eyed innocent (sort of), but there was too quick a jump to ruthless, cold-blood, would-be assassin. That transition does not occur overnight (unless there are seeds there, which we don't see in this story).

Another pet peeve I have is her friend, Pheobe. Why does the Black female friend always have to be a smart aleck with a bit of an attitude? Phoebe was a cool character and all, and I get that Mr. Rucka (the writer) probably didn't mean any offense, but I am so tired of seeing African American characters represented as stereotypes. Phoebe easily could have been the gentler, kinder friend. She could have been nerdy, an artist who's a bit kooky but has a great sense of humor. No, she's the tough chick. I guess he should get brownie points for having her hail from Austin, Texas. But she could have been from the Bronx for what we see of her smart alecky demeanor (with a musical bent for a little variety). Maybe I'm just being uptight about that....

Last pet peeve. We don't really get to see Matt much outside of the Elektra storyline. It's assumed that we know his backstory, which is not a safe assumption.

Pretty good, overall. I'd like to see where this arc goes. I want to see more darkside Elektra. (evil grin)

View all my reviews >>

No comments: