Sunday, November 15, 2015

Daredevil, Vol. 4: Underboss by Brian Michael Bendis, Alex Maleev (Illustrator), Joe Quesada (Editor)

Daredevil, Vol. 4: UnderbossDaredevil, Vol. 4: Underboss by Brian Michael Bendis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is straight-up crime fiction. A new guy in town wants to take away Kingpin's supreme rule over crime in Hell's Kitchen, and is not above betrayal to do it. I haven't read the first book in this run, so there are some things I had to figure out by context. However, it's clear that Daredevil and Kingpin have reached a sort of equilibrium in their relationship, but the apple cart is about to be upset. And the bid to bring down Kingpin has far-reaching consequences.

While Batman is my favorite crime-fighting vigilante, I have to say that I have a very healthy appreciation for Daredevil. Matt Murdock's sort of a soulmate of Bruce Wayne, although their situations seem far different in some ways. Deep down, they are avowed to fight corruption and crime in their resident cities, and are willing to give every little piece of their bodies and souls in the process.

The artwork is very good. It's gritty and dark, but it fits the mood of this story. I will admit I stay far away from Mafia movies, and this feels uncomfortably close to one of those. However, I do love stories about dark avengers and seekers of justice, especially in our world where might seems to mean right far too often.

As an Elektra girl, her nice little cameo of sorts did my heart glad. I wish my library had more Daredevil. Sigh.

View all my reviews

No comments: