Friday, May 16, 2014

The Astonishing X-Men Volume 1: Gifted by Joss Whedon, John Cassady

Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: GiftedAstonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted by Joss Whedon

My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


I have been on a Marvel roll lately.  It's mainly due to the fact that I've been mainlining Marvel shows on Netflix, along with the various Marvel movies we've been treated to lately. I discovered that there was a motion comic series for The Astonishing X-Men, and some of the episodes are posted on Netflix.  Watching it and "Wolverine and the X-Men" (and loving it), encouraged me to check out some of the comics after many years of not reading them.  Luckily my awesome library has this series!

I will admit I am an admirer of Joss Whedon's tv shows, and his characteristic wit is on display in this comic book series run that he authors. His snark and biting sarcasm, plus some sociopolitical commentary.  It's fun to see his words come out of the mouth of Emma Frost, Wolverine, and the gang.  Not to say it feels foreign to the X-Men, but Whedon just has a characteristic writing style.

Along with the writing, the artwork is beautiful.  Bright and stylish, but also detailed to the degree that Kitty's hair blows in the wind like real life, Wolverine's arms and back are covered in hair (let me say that he's the only guy who can get a free pass for back hair), and Emma Frost is unrealistically gorgeous, both in her flesh and diamond form (Can I admit I have a tiny girl crush on Emma Frost?). 

I thought I was over the X-Men, but I see that I am very wrong.  I am definitely officially sucked back into the world of the mutants.  I wish I could run back to the library today to get the next volume.

FYI: Marvel has a wikia database that is tres awesome: http://marvel.wikia.com/Main_Page

Overall rating: 4.5/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: