Monday, September 23, 2013

Alpha and Omega: Cry Wolf Volume TwoAlpha and Omega: Cry Wolf Volume Two by Patricia Briggs

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


I read this immediately after finishing the first volume. Much of my issues with the first and second volume are the same.

I don't want to have the exact same review as for Volume One, so I'll go in a different direction. 

While the illustrations didn't work for me as far as most of my favorite characters' faces (Charles, Samuel, Bran), I did think they capture the menace of that little ball of nastiness, Mariposa quite well.  Walter's story also drew me in, although I pictured him with gray hair instead of red hair as depicted. The illustrations do lack clarity somewhat on the storyline.  If I hadn't read this book previous to reading the graphic novel, I think I would have been be kind of lost and confused.  You don't really get a lot on Bran's back story and how he was worried about being susceptible to magic again.  One of my absolute favorite scenes from the book doesn't have the same powerful resonance in this version, and part of it was omitted.  I cry at that loss.

I'm still at the point where I feel that 3.5/5.0 stars is probably as high as I can rate this one. Good, but disappointing in comparison to the prose version.  Glad I read it, even though it doesn't quite measure up.

Will I read more Patricia Briggs graphic novels? Heck yeah!  I just hope the illustrations are better in the next ones I read.



View all my reviews

No comments: