Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher

Welcome to the Jungle (The Dresden Files, #0.5)Welcome to the Jungle by Jim Butcher

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Wow.  This was so fun to read.  I am a fan of the Dresden Files urban fantasy series, and it's wonderful to get some visuals to go along with the prose.   Butcher wrote the foreword, and he said he was very happy with the way Harry comes out, that he'd always visualized Harry Dresden in this medium, since he grew up as a huge comic book fan. I'd tend to agree.  I think the artist did an excellent job of capturing Harry and also Karrin Murphy and Carmichael.  He captures Harry's physicality as well as his self-awareness of both his flaws and strengths.  It was interesting to see Harry perform his typical spellwork and see him in action with his blasting rod and staff, and get a glimpse of his beloved VW Bug.  While I watched the tv show, and I liked it, there were a few things they changed that I didn't care for, so this was a better way to visualize Harry outside of my own active imaginations, and truer to the plotlines of the books.

The storyline was very good. I loved the infusion of folklore and the underlying concept driving the story.  The villain was really quite formidable and very creepy.  Harry shows his heroism, even though he is often the underdog in the battle.  And he definitely faces some serious obstacles, as always. I liked the secondary characters like Will. Of course, being an animal lover, I enjoyed the fact that this is set in a zoo.

Beautiful artwork, and great storytelling. What's not to like about this?  Really glad to see Harry Dresden in the graphic novel medium.  Will definitely read more of these!



View all my reviews

No comments: