Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Gray Man by Mark Greaney

The Gray Man (Court Gentry, #1)The Gray Man by Mark Greaney
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Gray Man is an action-packed, suspenseful ride that I didn't want to put down. Court Gentry is the kind of hero I am always looking for. He is resourceful, driven to get the job down, and a stone cold survivor. As I read this book, I was thinking, "Really? Did that just happen? I'd be so dead now!" Of course, I wouldn't want a wimpy heroine like myself in Court's shoes. Which is why I read these books, because I love seeing a tough character get himself out of some highly sticky situations that I'd be so dead meat in. And Mark Greaney through Court Gentry more than delivers on that front.

The storyline had me holding my breath, and muttering things I probably shouldn't be saying under my breath. Court is placed in a very tough situation, with many people out to kill him, and limited resources. The fun of this story is being along with Court on the ride as he faces all these top level death-bringers and gets himself hurt again and again, but manages to do some serious damage to the bad guys. I didn't enjoy him getting hurt so bad, but I did enjoy seeing this Energizer bunny keep taking his licks and keep on ticking. I love these kinds of characters. Although Court is a series bad*ss, he's also very moral in his own way. He believes in doing the right thing, and only kills bad people or to protect himself. I liked that even in the desperate situation he faces, Court doesn't lose sight of what he values. He's definitely the kind of guy I'd want on my side.

For readers who enjoy an adrenaline-infused story, but one that also engages the brain, I'd recommend this novel. The whys and wherefores take this story to higher level. I am officially adding Court Gentry to my roster of certified Grade A Kickbutt Artists, along with Scarecrow Shane Schofield, Joe Pike, The GhostWalkers, The Prakenskiis, Anne Stuart's Ice heroes and Jack Reacher. Believe me, that's a huge compliment!

View all my reviews

No comments: