Friday, October 15, 2010

The Best Horror from Fantasy Tales, Edited by Stephen Jones

The Best Horror from Fantasy TalesThe Best Horror from Fantasy Tales by Stephen Jones

My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars


This was a pretty good collection. Too bad I put it down more than a year ago, and I don't remember the stories I read back then well enough to write a competent review. I don't really want to spend the time to reread the first half, so this review is going to be pretty sketchy. My apologies for that.



The Clive Barker story was scary alright. It's what the Candyman movie is based on. Closest I'll get to watching that movie, for sure. I liked it in a freaked out kind of way. Of course, I loved the Manly Wade Wellman story. I adore his writing. I know for sure I did not care for the Ramsey Campbell story. It was boring and creepy in a weird, skin-crawling, what the heck is going on kind of way. I liked the other story I read by him in another anthology, so I haven't given up on him. I didn't like the story about the green man either, by another author. Another boring yet what the heck kind of story. Overall, reading this was a good experience. I put it down last year because I wasn't in the mood. What can I say, I'm a very moody reader. If you run across this one in a used bookstore for a decent price, or your library has it, it's worth reading.



Overall rating: 3.5/5.0 stars.



View all my reviews

No comments: