Monday, August 16, 2010

Upon a Midnight Clear by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Upon The Midnight Clear (Dark-Hunter/Dream-Hunter, #14)Upon The Midnight Clear by Sherrilyn Kenyon

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I felt like there was something missing from this book. I liked it, but I think it could have been better. The storytelling seemed basic--not something I'm used to with Ms. Kenyon. I get that this was supposed to be short story, but it was a little too barebones for me. The characters (other than Aidan) just didn't seem to come to life for me, which is atypical for a Sherrilyn Kenyon story. My biggest issue is the short length. I think that keeping this short really restricted the complexity of this story, and it really did need more depth. I think this would have been a great novella, but it falls short of greatness as a novella, unfortunately.

What I liked:

*Aidan was a good hero. I could see why he was so bitter and sad. He'd been let down by people he was supposed to trust, people he'd do just about anything for. It was interesting that he was a movie star, what that entailed. I did appreciate how Ms. Kenyon wrote about the negative aspects of fame, although Aidan always had a good head on his shoulders. If he was a real guy, he'd be a movie star I'd respect as a person. I would love to see that movie Alabaster, that he was in. It sounds good.
*Leta was good too, although I thought that I could have used more elaboration about her backstory. It was a nice change for the heroine to be the one driven by vengeance.
*There was a good romance here, although I needed more depth to be great.
*It was good to see Deimos again. I liked him in The Dream Hunter. Hope he shows up again.
*I liked how we got to see various people who we've met in the Dark-Hunter world celebrate Christmas. It brought back some happy memories of reading their stories, and made me eager to read the following books in this series.
*I loved the fantastical elements, especially the worlds that Lyssa created. Very freaky and weird. Nice touch.

I think every author has a book that's not so great. Unfortunately, this is probably the one I'd name for Ms. Kenyon. I think she's a very talented author, and I enjoy reading her books. I just needed a richer longer book for this one to shine as brightly as it could have.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: