Thursday, August 06, 2009

Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham

Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall by Bill Willingham


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
What I liked about this:

The artwork was beautiful. The stories were imaginative. It had some themes that were thought-provoking, such as how one ends up going down a dark path and evolves into the person one is. The nature of repentance, and the fact that anyone can be forgiven. The waste of war. The foolishness of prejudice. How zeal can spur some to horrific acts that make them just as wicked as their enemies. I liked the concept of Snow White taking the place of Scherezade. I love the Arabian Nights stories, so that made this a must buy. I admired Snow White for being able to get herself out of a tough situation, and to tell stories that made the flawed king Shahryar rethink his barbaric actions against women.

What I didn't like:

A fair number of the stories were very depressing. I know that a lot of the fairy tales had their grim moments, but most have happy endings along with a good moral lesson. Most of these ended abruptly or had really downbeat endings. Some of the stories were downright disturbing. There were a couple that ended so fast, I was left to wonder, what happened.

This is a keeper because of the quality of the artwork and the fact that I liked the Arabian Nights theme. I'm not sure how often I will reread it, though. It put me in a downer mood. I am still curious to read the other Fables volumes, but it's not a priority right now.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: